.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Monday, September 03, 2007

The Fruits of My Labor

My mom tells me not to garden since the bending over and the strain might hurt me. I have gotten some help from friends with the weeding but I still water my garden once a week and try to get out there once or twice a week to pick tomatoes, artichokes, lettuce and salad greens and herbs. I have started planting my fall and winter crops but with the baby arriving soon I really have to cut back.


Baby zucchini and fresh salad and sauce tomatoes. The variety called "Mamma Mia" is very similar to San Marzano. Can you believe I have been picking 10+ pounds a week? Next year I will have to plant fewer plants.


I love misticanza and so does Deme. It is a great accompaniment to meaty dishes. When the salad greens go wild and bolt, I end up picking just the hearts of the escarole, endive, frisee, radicchio, chicoria and other greens.

All contents copyright 2004-2007.
All rights reserved.

3 Comments:

At 12:10 AM, Blogger Delina said...

I tried to grow tomatoes from seeds this year and I haven't had one single tomato! Last year we bought plants rather than seeds and we got loads of tomatoes from them.

Next year I'll go back to buying the plants rather than the seeds.

I grew lettuce ok though.

 
At 5:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gina, your veggies are gorgeous! When is sprog #2 due? Take care!

 
At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

t

 

Post a Comment

<< Home